One of Riverside’s oldest communities, Arlington has retained its village character from the community’s establishment in 1875, making it one of the city’s most historic areas. Known as “The city within a city,” Arlington was merged with the Riverside colony to establish the 39.4-square-mile City of Riverside in 1883, resulting in the creation of a new metropolis. The Arlington neighborhood grew as a result of two annexations, which occurred in 1961 and 1964. While Magnolia Avenue serves as the neighborhood’s backbone, the neighborhood’s center is located in Arlington Village and Van Buren Boulevard. Jackson Street borders the neighborhood on the east, the Riverside (91) Freeway on the south, the La Sierra community on the west, and the Arlanza neighborhood on the north. Jackson Street is also bordered by the Riverside (91) Freeway on the east.
There have been considerable strides forward in the revitalization of this historically significant and unique area. The Arlington Village Beautification and Magnolia Avenue Irrigation initiatives, for example, are aimed at improving the urban streetscape in the core of the community, respectively. The Arlington Community Plan, which was developed in collaboration with the city’s active neighborhood associations, was adopted in 2001. The objectives and principles outlined in this plan are now included into the General Plan 2025 and the Magnolia Avenue Specific Plan, which is now under development.
There is a diverse range of neighborhood-oriented retail commercial uses located along Magnolia Avenue and Van Buren Boulevard, including Lowe’s home improvement warehouse, which is conveniently located at Magnolia Avenue and Harrison Street. There is also a Lowe’s home improvement warehouse, which is conveniently located at Magnolia Avenue and Harrison Street (site of the former County Hospital). The Galleria at Tyler, located directly across the street to the southwest of the neighborhood, is a regional retail mall with a variety of food and shopping options, including Nordstrom, P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, The Cheesecake Factory, and Barnes & Noble books. County Circle, a county government facility designed in a campus-like environment, is also located in the neighborhood, along Hole and Magnolia Avenues, and is another attraction in the area. It serves as the headquarters for county offices such as the Department of Social Services and the Department of Public Health, among others.
A quick trip on the 91 makes it this retail and business hub easily accessible from places like Wood Streets, University, and Grand Terrace.
Several public amenities such as community parks and schools are conveniently located in the Arlington area. Located on Andrew Street near Van Buren Boulevard, Arlington Fire Station No. 2 is a proud member of the community, serving it with distinction. Magnolia Avenue and Roosevelt Street in Arlington, Virginia, has recently been repaired and enlarged to better serve the area while also keeping the original building’s architectural integrity. The library, which was constructed in 1909 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a good example of a Greek revival style structure and an important historic monument. Don Lorenzi Park and Arlington Park and Pool are two local parks where residents can engage in outdoor recreation activities. Liberty and Sunshine Elementary Schools, as well as St. Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic School, are all located in the area.