People began arriving in what is today known as the Arlington Heights neighborhood as early as 1875. As part of the original 39.4 square mile city limits established when Riverside was created in 1883, Arlington Heights was incorporated as well. The Gage Canal provided the initial impetus for the area’s agricultural development to become more intensive. The Gage Canal, which was completed in 1890 and used gravity flow to collect water from the Santa Ana River, was the first of its kind. Gage Canal water is still being used for agricultural purposes in the surrounding area in the twenty-first century.
When it comes to geographic size, the neighborhood is the most populous neighborhood in the entire city. Casa Blanca, Presidential Park, and Arlington South are the three neighborhoods that border it to the north; La Sierra South is the neighborhood that borders it to the west; unincorporated county land borders it to the south; and the county line, Alessandro Heights, and Hawarden Hills are the neighborhoods that border it to the east (generally areas east of Washington Street).
Because of the abundance of orange trees and agriculture fields in this area, citriculture has always been the primary industry in this region. The Arlington Greenbelt is another name for this neighborhood that is often used. This is the location where the Riverside of yesterday and the Riverside of today get together to share ideas and experiences. According to the rural character of the area, low-density, single-family residential construction has been increasingly interwoven with the agricultural lifestyle that was so important in establishing the City’s early growth. This neighborhood has the lowest residential density of any neighborhood in the City, with residential lots averaging 5 acres or larger in size.
Victory Avenue is a well-known feature of Arlington Heights, since it is a street of both natural and manicured beauty, making it a horticulturist’s dream. Its trademark palm palms, as well as rows of fragrant red ragged robin roses, pepper and eucalyptus shrubs, make Victoria Avenue a showpiece roadway that is a source of great pride for the city. Victoria Avenue is included on the National Register of Historic Places due to the significant historical value of the area surrounding it.
Mockingbird Canyon, Woodcrest, and Prenda are three of the neighborhood’s major natural arroyos that provide a variety of recreational opportunities. Arroyos are more than just waterways; they are also habitats for a diverse range of animal and plant species. Growth in the greenbelt has been severely curtailed as a result of the voter-approved initiatives Proposition R and Measure C. The development that has taken place has done so in a way that has preserved the agricultural character of the greenbelt, as well as vital and irreplaceable natural elements like as the arroyos, which have been preserved.
Mockingbird Canyon Lake and the California State Citrus Historic Park, which provides historical interpretation of the early citrus culture in Riverside and California, are two other notable attractions. The proposed Arlington Heights Sports Park, which will be built on Van Buren Boulevard immediately north of the state park, will increase the number of recreational possibilities available to the people in the surrounding neighborhood. Station No. 10 of the Arlington Heights Fire Department, which is located on Jefferson Street just south of Victoria Avenue, is happy to serve the residents of the Arlington Heights community. Hawthorne Elementary School serves the area, as well as a number of other excellent schools in and around the city of Arlington Heights.